Vijay Ratnakar Gutte’s directorial debut, ‘The Accidental Prime Minister’ has been politically hyped up and is being referred to as a propaganda film at the onset of the Lok Sabha 2019 elections.
While many media houses have been promoting debates on this film, many are silent of the grave accusations levied on Vijay Gutte. The Gutte family who are also the makers of ‘Accidental Prime Minister’ received ₹5400cr as Farmer Loan from BJP Govt and have also been named in ₹328cr sugar factory scam. However, the list of scams do not end here for Vijay Gutte. As per a report by the Indian Express, the director is not only charged for violating Indian tax laws but is also accused of defrauding the British Film Institute by claiming bogus tax rebates in the United Kingdom.
Charges on Gutte
- VRG Digital Corporation Pvt Ltd, a company linked to Vijay Gutte
- The British Film Institute is the principal agency for certification of a film as British
- Under the UK Creative Industry Tax Reliefs, the British government allows up to 25 per cent tax concession for films qualifying as British films
- To qualify as one, production companies should be within the UK corporation tax net and at least 10 percent of the expenditure in making the film should be spent in the UK
- The tax relief is available on the actual expenditure incurred in the UK or 80 per of total filmmaking expenses, whichever is lower
- A remand application filed by the Directorate General of Goods and Services Tax Intelligence (DGGSTI) in a local court said that VRG Digital Corporation, Bombay Casting Talent Management Pvt Ltd (BCTMPL), a Bohra Bros Group firm (also one of the producers of the film) and Horizon Outsource Solutions undertook circuitous transactions to show higher quantum of money invested by BCTMPL into The Accidental Prime Minister
- The transactions, according to the remand application, were undertaken to “defraud” the British Film Institute to access the tax rebate
- Vijay Gutte was on the board of VRG Digital till November 2018
- The DGGSTI had arrested Gutte on 02nd August and he is currently out on bail