The Centre just cleared a three-year-old proposal for allotment of additional 2 acres in the heart of Delhi to BJP for its headquarters, a day before the model code of conduct took effect.
On March 9, a day before Election Commission declared election dates, the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) issued a draft notification for changing land use of 2.189 acres at Deen Dayal Upadhyay Marg from ‘group housing’ to ‘public and semi-public facilities’.
The plot in question, 3B DDU Marg, is across the road to BJP’s swanky and extravagant headquarters, 6A DDU Marg. With the notification of change in land use the government settled the allotment process initiated in 2015. BJP will pay Rs. 2.08 crore for the 2 acres in prime central Delhi.
For two more acres, the land and development office (L&DO) had zeroed in on the current property. However, contours of the plot had to be changed because of physical hurdles on the ground level and final allotment was 6% more than total entitlement.
The final allotment would be 2.22 acres, instead of 1.98 acres.
- The allotment was recommended by the land allotment screening committee under the housing ministry in February 2015 and L&DO allotted a 2-acre plot to BJP
- In July 2016, BJP wrote to L&DO saying, “physical possession of complete plot is not possible due to ground level problems” and requested change in dimensions.
- In September 2016, the screening committee once again considered the case and choose one option from three. It required invoking discretionary powers by the urban development minister as the land was in over the permissible 4 acres.
- As the government entered election mode, the proposal to change land use was taken in December 2018
- A meeting of DDA, chaired by LG Anil Baijal, cleared the proposal on February 21 and 25
- The draft notification was put for a public notice on March 9
BJP Headquarters – New Delhi
The national headquarters of the BJP is nothing but uber luxurious. The plot of land where the HQ has being constructed was given to the BJP in 2008 during the UPA regime.
Here’s a sneak peak into the national headquarters of the Bharatiya Janata Party:
- Luxurious, spacious and is located on Deendayal Upadhyaya Marg in the heart of New Delhi
- It is a seven-storeyed building
- The entire office is wi-fi enabled
- The building has 45 chambers (large rooms with a sitting area and a desk) and 25 rooms (desk space only) for Karyakartas from states to do their routine work while in Delhi
- The first two floors have a conference hall, a media room, a library, a room to hold exhibitions
- The BJP president Amit Shah’s chambers are on the top floor
- Each General Secretary has rooms with an en suite bathroom
- The foundation of the building was laid on August 10, 2016 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi who said that the sacrifice of generations of karyakartas (workers) inspired him to work