The counting of votes for the Punjab Zila Parishad and Panchayat Samiti are underway amid tight security across the state. The elections were held on 19th September to elect 354 Zila Parishad and 2,900 Panchayat Samiti members. There are 22 Zila Parishads and 150 Panchayat Samitis in the state.
While 33 nominees were elected unopposed to various Zila Parishads, 369 candidates were declared elected unopposed to the Panchayat Samitis, a PTI report said. It said that a total of 17,268 polling booths were set up and around 50,000 police officials were deployed for the smooth conduct of polling on Wednesday.
— Punjab Congress (@INCPunjab) September 17, 2018
In Ludhiana, the counting started in all 13 centres in the district. At Patiala and Muktsar also, the counting of votes started on time, as reported by The Tribune. In Patiala, the Congress has won 14 panchayat samiti seats, SAD two whereas the AAP failed to open its account.
SAD’s Karam Chand won the Panchayat Samiti poll from Zone 2, Nabha.
The daily further reported the counting in Moga began at 10.45 am at Baghapurana because of the hurdles allegedly created by local Congress MLA Darshan Singh Brar and his supporters. They allegedly entered the counting centre. However, the situation is peaceful.
In Gurdaspur, the Congress party has already won most seats unopposed, making it a one-sided fight. The ruling Congress has been touted as the favourite to win the Zila Parishad and Panchayat Samiti elections after a gap of 10 years. The main contest is between the Congress and the SAD-BJP alliance.
— ANI (@ANI) September 22, 2018
- Patiala: Panchayat Samiti trends: Congress wins 14 seats, SAD wins 2; AAP fails to open account
- Muktsar: SAD candidate from Lambi Zila Parishad, Bikkar Singh Channu, trails
- Muktsar: Bhucho Congress MLA Pritam Singh Kotbahi’s wife Paramjit Kaur, Cong candidate from Kotbhai Zila Parishad, leads
- Bathinda: Congress candidate wins from Burj Gill block samiti seat with 3 votes
- Fazilka: BJP registers first win
- Bathinda: Panchyat Samiti result declared, 10: Congress 7, SAD 2, Ind 1
- Ludhiana: Zila Parishad trends: Congress 19, SAD 1
- Ludhiana: Panchayat Samiti trends: Congress 89, SAD 24, AAP 1, Independent 2
- Muktsar: Akal Takht Jathedar’s son Manjinder Singh Bittu, SAD candidate, trails