On Thursday, India underwent the second phase of the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections and the enthusiasm of supporters for all parties was high as anticipated, of course with a mix of lot of fake news and rumours which are planted only to sway the general opinion.
But there was one particular story that quickly caught on and spread like wildfire :
‘Google CEO Sundar Pichai comes to India to cast his vote in Tamil Nadu’ – #FAKE
A media house was caught on the wrong foot when it tweeted pictures of Google Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Sundar Pichai, surrounded by people stating that he had “marked his vote in this election”.
The below tweet which went viral, with many retweeting the news, now stands deleted:
Many Twitter users from the state hailed Pichai who had returned to the country to cast his vote during an election.
However, since internet data is almost free, many users do not verify facts before retweeting, and the bandwagon only contributes to spreading fake news.
- The image dates back to 2017 when Google CEO Sundar Pichai had visited his alma mater IIT Kharagpur, West Bengal
- Sundar Pichai had himself tweeted this photo from his Twitter handle on Jan 7, 2017
- It may be noted that Pichai holds citizenship of the United States of America
- Pichai is an American national and India neither permits dual citizenship nor allows foreign nationals of Indian origin to cast their votes in elections
- Thus, it is not possible for Pichai to cast his vote from Tamil Nadu in these general elections
Read – Verify – Then Forward : Do Not Be a Contributor to Fake News
RELATED ARTICLES :